It isn't uncommon for you to feel reluctant about using an energy gel during your workout. This is quite common as they are known to have an odd consistency, unlike anything else in our diets. However, this is something OTE are attempting to change by formulating their gels with natural ingredients so they are kind on your stomach.
Choosing what you want to fuel yourself with is very much down to personal preference. But don’t rule out energy gels yet as they do have their benefits.
Why is energy so quickly absorbed compared to a banana?
OTE Energy Gels are made up of multiple energy substrates (different types of sugar) which means the energy has multiple ways into your body. Roughly, you are looking at 10 to 15 minutes before the energy is in the system and ready to be utilised. This is because its ingredients are so simple (just sugar) and easily processed, unlike things like bananas and flapjacks, which still supply energy but are harder for the body to break down.
An energy gel is best consumed when:
- Fatigue sets in and you need a fast energy boost
- Intensity is high and you may struggle to chew normal food
- The terrain or course only allows small periods of time in which to take on board fuel
It is important to remember that not all energy gels are an equal. They can be different sizes, contain different ingredients and designed for different purposes. It is always important to understand the content of a gel you are going to use.
Key Benefits of OTE Energy Gels
- 20g of carbohydrates. This means the gel can deliver 20-30 minutes of energy when exercising at a moderate to intense pace.
- They use real fruit juice concentrate to make the gels, giving them their natural fruity flavour. They do not compromise with ingredients, meaning their gels are much kinder on the stomach.
- Their gels contain both carbohydrates for energy and electrolytes to replenish salts lost when sweating.
- The almost liquid like consistency of the OTE Energy Gel means that they do not need to be consumed with water.
- Unlike any other gel, they have a Dual Delivery System. This mean their gels have two ways in which they can be opened. You can tear to gulp or tear to sip.
Energy gels don’t have to be the only way you fuel your exercise but can used to give you a real boost when you need it. We would always advise having a fuelling plan before taking on an event or competition and energy gels can be a very valuable part of this.